Welcome to the Lake Wausau Association Website
Thank you for visiting us and for your interest in Lake Wausau!
Please note we are also on Facebook... you can follow us at Facebook: Friends of Lake Wausau.
Lake Wausau Evaluation Project Nears Completion - Public Discussions for Development of the Lake Management Plan are Scheduled
We are pleased to share that our lake evaluation project is near completion and we are in the process of developing the formal Lake Management Plan (LMP), which will be our roadmap for maintaining, preserving, and improving Lake Wausau and its environment. The LMP is expected to be formalized and adopted by LWA by December 31, 2017. The public is invited to be involved in the development process. Please see our PRESS RELEASE pertaining to the public process for developing the formal Lake Management Plan for Lake Wausau, and our Calendar of Events for upcoming public meetings and agenda items/materials, and details below for a recap of the public meetings held.
Please note the location of these meetings is at the Wausau and Marathon County Parks Department, 212 River Drive, Wausau (Room 2). We have just learned River Drive is currently under construction and while there are three access points to River Drive (Thomas Street access, Slough Bridge (off Stewart Ave) access, and 1st Street access), only one access point may be open at a time making it difficult to enter this facility. Please inform road crew members of the meeting you are trying to get to in order to gain access if all three access points are closed. We apologize in advance for any inconvenience. Use this map to find the access roads.
The first public discussion was held on Tuesday, September 27th. The discussion topics focused on a review of the aquatic plant surveys, strategies for the prevention and early response steps for aquatic invasive species, and fishery and habitat community and recommendations for improvements. Biologists and resource specialists shared data collected and recommendations, and responded to questions and suggestions. The meeting agenda and presentation materials can be found below for downloading and printing:
- Public Discussion Meeting Agenda for 9/27/17
- Proposed Process for Developing the Lake Management Plan
- Aquatic Plant Survey Presentation (Nancy Turyk, UWSP)
- Aquatic Invasive Species - Getting Proactive (Chris Hamerla, Golden Sands RC&D)
- Update on Fish Community and Recommendations - Al Niebur, Wisconsin DNR
If you would like to share any concerns, thoughts, or suggestions for consideration in the development of the LMP, please contact LWA at firstname.lastname@example.org or Nancy Turyk from UWSP at email@example.com or 715-346-4155.
For additional information regarding the work that has been done to date on this project, including draft reports of data collected by researchers, please see our Newsletters page.
2017 Annual Member Meeting
Our 2017 Annual Member Meeting will be held at 6:30pm on Wednesday, October 4th at Trails End Lodge (3901 Sherman Rd, Wausau). The main order of business at the Annual Member Meeting includes committee reports from the Finance Committee, Weed & Algae Control Committee, and Membership Committee, as well as election of the Board of Directors for the next term (January 2018 through December 2020). There are three Director positions up for election or re-election. Interested candidates should complete and submit a Board of Directors Nomination Consent Form by US mail or e-mail no later than Friday, September 20, 2017 to be included on the voting ballot. Additional nominations will be allowed at the meeting from the floor, but floor nominations cannot be acccepted unless the nominee is present, agrees to serve, and offers evidence of qualification.
Light appetizers will be seved and there will be a cash bar. While this is a members only meeting, new members will be accepted at door check-in (membership fee is $25.00). Please RSVP by e-mail or call/text 715-551-9550 so we may ensure appropriate food and seating accomodations
2017 Membership Renewals
We are still taking 2017 membership renewals. Renew your membership or join LWA as a new member in 2017 and help us protect, maintain, and enhance Lake Wausau and its beautiful surroundings. Membership is open to all friends of Lake Wausau and provides opportunities to network and socialize with other lake users, receive important news and information about Lake Wausau and its surroundings, and to be involved in one of our community's greatest resources. So please help support our efforts to create a healthier lake by becoming a member today.
Lake Wausau Association, Inc.
P.O. Box 1952
Wausau, WI 54402-1952
We thank you for your continued support in helping us create a healthier Lake Wausau. Membership continues to grow as those in the community realize the value of this incredible resource outside our back doors. Did you know member dues provide a significant source of financial support? Renewing your membership and recruiting new members for continued membership growth is critical to our success! Our past and current member listings are published below.
See Membership Information to learn more about being a member.
LWA's 5th Annual Fundraiser on 4/21/17 A Success!
Thank you to everyone who volunteered to make this year's event a success, as well as all those who purchased tickets and those who attended. Thanks to you we were able to raise total proceeds of $23,454 in 2017! This is a tremendous success for the Lake Wausau Association which will benefit the entire community.
We are in the final stages of our lake evaluation project and will be working toward formalizing our lake management plan in fall 2017. Please visit our Calendar of Events for information regarding upcoming public meetings. Your input is important to the planning process for developing the final lake management plan so please mark your calendar and make an effort to attend!
For information regarding the lake evaluation project, including draft reports from our researchers, please see our Newsletter page.
Important Lake Resources and Contact Information
The following Companies service lake Wausau for dock removal:
- DuBay Waters - 715.344.2628
- Lakeside Dock & Lift Sales in Mincoqua - 715.358.7437
- Pelican Pieers LLC in Pelican Lake - 715.499.0885 or 715.628.0214 (will be working in Wausau weeks prior to the drawdown)
Please refer to the following contact information for questions or concerns:
- To report prohibited/harmful activities, please contact the WDNR hot-line at 1.800.847.9367 (24 hours, 7 days a week)
- For information related to permits for shoreline restoration projects or lake bed clean up, please contact one of the following:
- Kyle McLaughlin, WI DNR at Kyle.McLaughlin@wisconsin.gov
- Chris Hamerla, Golden Sands Resource Conservation & Development Council, Inc. at 715-343-6215 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dean Johnson, Marathon Co., Conservation, Planning and Zoning at 715.261.6031 (8am - 4:30pm, M-F) or e-mail Dean.Johnson@co.marathon.wi.us
- Click here to visit the WI DNR website for additional information about the permit process and exemptions.
- Click here for a list of well-suited native plant species for shoreland restorations.
- For questions regarding fishery/gaming please contact Tom Meronek at email@example.com
- For questions regarding boating/recreation and permitted activities, etc., please call Randy Dunkel, DNR Conservation Warden at 715.393.7473 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
- For concerns or questions regarding health issues, please contact a Public Health Nurse by calling the Marathon County Health Department at 715-261-1900
- For concerns specific to Blastomycosis please click on the following links:
Marathon County Conservation, Planning and Zoning Department is working on implementation of restorations on private shoreland lots through a $100,000 Lake Protection Grant received from the WDNR. Marathon County can cost-share up to 70% for shoreland buffer restorations on private shoreland lots. Please click here for their flyer containing additional information.