Welcome to the Lake Wausau Association Website
Thank you for visiting us and for your interest in Lake Wausau!
Please note we are also on Facebook... you can follow us at Facebook: Friends of Lake Wausau.
LWA Address Change Effective 11/1/16
Due to changes in postal services beyond our control, effective November 1, 2016 our mailing address has changed to:
Lake Wausau Association, Inc.
P.O. Box 1952
Wausau, WI 54402-1952
Media Links to Lake Wausau Drawdown
- Process to Refill Lake Wausau to Begin Tuesday (WSAW, 11/14/16)
- Community Teams Up to Clean Lake Wausau (WAOW, 9/29/16)
- Lake Wausau Drawdown Has Begun (WSAU-WAOW, 9/25/16)
- Lake Wausau Drawdown Begins Saturday (WAOW, 9/24/16)
- Federal Commission Approves Lake Wausau Drawdown (WSAW, 9/23/16)
- Lake Wausau Drawdown on Hold (City Pages, 9/15/16)
- Lake Wausau Drawdown Postponed (WAOW, 9/13/16)
- Lake Wausau Drawdown Could Face Delay (WSAW, 9/11/16)
- Debate Continues on Lake Wausau Drawdown (WAOW, 9/7/16)
- Argument Continues Over Lake Wausau Drawdown (WAOW, 8/19/16)
- Thursday Marks Last Day to Give Input on Lake Wausau Drawdown (WAOW, 8/18/16)
- BOATERS BEWARE: Lake Wausau Drawdown on the Way (City Pages, 8/4/16)
In light of the pending drawdown, the following statement was made by the Lake Wausau Association Board of Directors:
"The Lake Wausau Association represents all recreational lake users including kayakers, hunters, skiers, fisherman, boaters, and trappers. Based on facts given to Domtar Corporation by the US Fish and Wildlife Service and the WI DNR, we feel it is in the best interst of the lake to move forward with the dam repairs on September 12, 2016."
Domtar to Start Refilling Lake Wausau on 11/15/16
Representatives of Domtar have stated they have successfully completed their dam repairs and will begin refilling Lake Wausau on Tuesday, November 15th at a rate of 2 inches per day until Friday, November 18th when they will bring the level up to 6 inches per day until the lake is completely refilled (about another 8 days). They expect the lake will completely refilled by November 28th. The following statement was provided by Domtar:
"Central Wisconsin has been blessed with an amazing summer and fall that has worked out very well for the repair project of the dam. The work started a week late, but with the good weather we have been able to make up the lost time and complete all of the repairs to the concrete section of the dam. The repairs to the concrete section of the dam consisted of 14 separate concrete pours that added up to about 50 yards of concrete and we installed over 850 feet of rebar. What does 50 years of concrete look like? It would be the equivalent to a concrete driveway 400 feet long and 8 foot wide. So by taking the time to lower the lake and completing the repairs in the dry we should have a good solid repair for years to come." - Warren Netzow, Project Engineer, Domtar.
The drawdown provided a great opportunity for cleanup and shoreline restoration efforts. Many thanks to the Wisconsin Waterfowl Association for their efforts to organize a formal lake cleanup during the drawdown, working jointly with LWA, to remove garbage and tires that have been tossed in the lake over the past many years. A group of volunteers yielded several bags of trash and nearly 100 tires from just 1/2 mile of lakebed. We encourage everyone who enjoys, uses and recreates on Lake Wausau to keep our lake clean and to continue efforts to maintain a healthy lake going forward.
Drawdown Lake Wausau on 9/12/16
(See additional notice below for possible movement of drawdown to Summer 2017)
Domtar has released public notice of a drawdown of Lake Wausau to conduct necessary dam repairs. The drawdown is expected to begin September 12, 2016, at a rate of 4 inches per day and will cease at the 5 foot level or on October 1, 2016, whichever occurs first. Domtar will have until November 15, 2016 to make their dam repairs, at which time they will be required to begin refilling the lake at 4 inches per day. Additional details of the drawdown, including prohibited activities during the drawdown, are included in their public notice. Please click here for the public notice, which will be posted at each boat launch area. Please also see our Summer 2016 Newsletter which also addresses the drawdown.
Note many boat landings will be unusable during the drawdown due to anticipated low water levels. Please be sure to plan ahead for boat and dock removal! The following Companies service lake Wausau for dock removal:
- DuBay Waters - 715.344.2628
- Lakeside Dock & Lift Sales in Mincoqua - 715.358.7437
- Pelican Pieers LLC in Pelican Lake - 715.499.0885 or 715.628.0214 (will be working in Wausau weeks prior to the drawdown)
Please refer to the following contact information for questions or concerns:
- To report prohibited/harmful activities, please contact the WDNR hot-line at 1.800.847.9367 (24 hours, 7 days a week)
- For information related to permits for shoreline restoration projects or lake bed clean up, please contact one of the following:
- Kyle McLaughlin, WI DNR at Kyle.McLaughlin@wisconsin.gov
- Tyler Betry, Marathon Co. Conservation, Planning and Zoning at 715.261.6027 or e-mail email@example.com
- Chris Hamerla, Golden Sands Resource Conservation & Development Council, Inc. at 715-343-6215 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dean Johnson, Marathon Co., Conservation, Planning and Zoning at 715.261.6031 (8am - 4:30pm, M-F) or e-mail Dean.Johnson@co.marathon.wi.us
- Click here to visit the WI DNR website for additional information about the permit process and exemptions.
- Click here for a list of well-suited native plant species for shoreland restorations.
- For information about the drawdown project and dam repairs, as well as the permitting process, please contact Domtar at 715.359.3101
- For questions regarding fishery/gaming please contact Tom Meronek at email@example.com
- For questions regarding boating/recreation and permitted activities, etc., please call Randy Dunkel, DNR Conservation Warden at 715.393.7473 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
- For concerns or questions regarding health issues, please contact a Public Health Nurse by calling the Marathon County Health Department at 715-261-1900
- For concerns specific to Blastomycosis please click on the following links:
The drawdown will be a great opportunity to clean up shorelines and work on shoreland restoration projects. Marathon County and Golden Sands Resource Consevation & Development Council, Inc. are working jointly to assist with implementation of restorations on private shoreland lots through a $100,000 Lake Protection Grant received from the WDNR. Marathon County can cost-share up to 70% for shoreland buffer restorations on private shoreland lots. Please click here for their flyer containing additional information.
2016 Membership Renewals
Renew your membership or join LWA as a new member in 2016 and help us protect, maintain, and enhance Lake Wausau and its beautiful surroundings. Membership is open to all friends of Lake Wausau and provides opportunities to network and socialize with other lake users, receive important news and information about Lake Wausau and its surroundings, and to be involved in one of our community's greatest resources. So please help support our efforts to create a healthier lake by becoming a member today.
Lake Wausau Association, Inc.
P.O. Box 1952
Wausau, WI 54402-1952
We thank you for your continued support in helping us create a healthier Lake Wausau. Membership continues to grow as those in the community realize the value of this incredible resource outside our back doors. Did you know member dues provide a significant source of financial support? Renewing your membership and recruiting new members for continued membership growth is critical to our success! Our past and current member listings are published below.
See Membership Information to learn more about being a member.