Welcome to the Lake Wausau Association Website
Thank you for visiting us and for your interest in Lake Wausau!
Please note we are also on Facebook... you can follow us at Facebook: Friends of Lake Wausau.
Recent News and Updates...
The Lake Wausau Association has recently been made aware of a court decision dangerously impacting waterfront property owner’s rights of those who live on flowages. The court decision impacts the ability of riparian owners to place a dock or boatlift on shorelines and could significantly decrease the value of their properties. New legislation has been introduced to restore the rights of affected riparian property owners (AB 551/SB 501). This Legislature attempts to permanently protect pier rights for all waterfront property owners, including those who live on the 260 flowages throughout Wisconsin.
To learn more about this new legislation, visit Wisconsin Legislative Documents. If you wish to show your support for this new legislation, please visit THIS LINK to have a letter sent to your elected officials, which takes only minutes.
If you want to protect your rights, make your voice heard and support the passage of AB 551/SB 501.
Are you interested in helping to keep Lake Wausau Clean? Learn about our new Adopt-A-Shoreline Volunteer Program to see how you can participate or contribute with a donation - visit our Volunteers page for additional information. We're also currently looking for a coordinator for this program (volunteer opportunity). If you're interested in becoming more involved through coordinating the efforts of this program please contact us.
LWA's 7th Annual Fundraiser Event held on Friday, May 17, 2019 was a huge success with over 300 attendees, live music by the Allen Brothers Band, food catered by Nueske's at Gulliver's Landing, and many fantastic raffle and auction items donated by our various sponsors! A HUGE THANK YOU to all of our volunteers (more than 45 volunteers at the fundraiser) and all our sponsors (click HERE to see a list of our sponsors). We couldn't be successful without you!
LWA's 9th Annual Fundraiser Event is scheduled for Friday, May 21, 2021 at the Rothschild Pavilion. Please watch for updates on event ticket sales and event details.
LWA's 8th Annual Fundraiser Event was scheduled for Friday, May 15, 2020 at the Rothchild Pavilion and was canceled due to the COVID-19 pandemic and the extended Safer at Home order. Everyone's overall safety, good health, and road to financial recovery is of utmost importance ot us. Due to the many uncertainties that will unveil in the coming months, we are electing not to reschedule this year's fundraiser. We encourage everyone to reach out to your neighbors and other community members that are in need as we move foward to combat this pandemic and mend the deterimental impacts it's brought upon us. Refunds will be issued to ticket purchasers and all of the generous donations provided to us for the fundraiser will be returned as well. Please allow us some time to work through this process - we hope to complete it over the next several weeks. Thank you all for your continued support and encouragement in making our lake a better place for everyone to enjoy! We hope you will all be able to find enjoyment in Lake Wausau this summer with fine appreciation for the value it truly does bring to our community!
2021 Membership dues are due effective January 1,2021 and may be submitted via regular mail (click HERE for our 2021 Membership form) or via PayPal (a $2.00 service fee applies). Membership dues are only $25 annually -- visit our Membership Page to learn more about the benefits of becoming a member of LWA! When becoming a member or renewing your membership, please also be sure to provide us updated street and email addresses to ensure you receive our news updates and event invites during the year.
Lake Wausau Management Plan Complete and Officially Adopted!
Since the Lake Wausau Association reorganized in 2011, members of the board and of various committees of the organization have worked dilgently to develop a comprehensive Lake Management Plan (the "Plan"), which involved signficant input from local stakeholders and surrounding communities. The purpose of the Plan is to coordinate efforts to protect, maintain, and enhance environmental and recreational values on Lake Wausau and its surroundings, which aligns directly with the Lake Wausau Association's mission statement. The Plan will also allow Lake Wausau to be eligible for future implementation projects funded with Lake Protection Grants. Please click on the links provided below to download an electronic copy of the complete Plan.
- 2018 Lake Wausau Protection and Improvement Plan
- Appendix A: Socio Economic Survey
- Appendix B: In-Lake Habitat Report
- Appendix C: USACE Hydrodynamic Modeling Results
- Appendix D: Fish Survey Results
- Appendix J: Aquatic Plant Management Plan
Lake Wausau Evaluation Project - Public Discussions Process for Development of the Lake Management
We are pleased to share that our lake evaluation project is near completion and we are in the process of developing the formal Lake Management Plan (LMP), which will be our roadmap for maintaining, preserving, and improving Lake Wausau and its environment. The LMP is expected to be formalized and adopted by LWA by December 31, 2017. The public is invited to be involved in the development process. Please see our PRESS RELEASE pertaining to the public process for developing the formal Lake Management Plan for Lake Wausau, as well as the Proposed Process for Developing the Lake Management Plan. Dates and details for upcoming public meetings and agenda items/materials can be found at our Calendar of Events. See details below for a recap of the public meetings held.
Recap of Public Discussion on September 27, 2017
The first public discussion was held on Tuesday, September 27th. The discussion topics focused on a review of the aquatic plant surveys, strategies for the prevention and early response steps for aquatic invasive species, and fishery and habitat community and recommendations for improvements. Biologists and resource specialists shared data collected and recommendations, and responded to questions and suggestions. The meeting agenda and presentation materials can be found below for downloading and printing:
- Public Discussion Meeting Agenda for 9/27/17
- Aquatic Plant Survey Results Presentation - (Nancy Turyk, UWSP & Chris Hamerla, Golden Sands RC&D)
- Update on Fish Community and Recommendations - (Al Niebur, Wisconsin DNR)
Recap of Public Discussion on October 21, 2017
The second public discussion was held on Saturday, October 21st. The discussion topics focused on the hydrodynamic modeling results, watersheds, water quality, and land use. Scientists from the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers presented strategies for water quality improvements in previously identified areas of Lake Wausau. They also presented alternativess and feasibility for the improvement of fish spawning habitat in the upper end of the lake. General water quality conditions as they relate to land management were also discussed with scientists from UWSP and WDNR. The meeting agenda, materials and recordings of the meetings can be found below for downloading, printing, and viewing:
- Public Disussion Meeting Agenda for 10/21/17
- Lake Wausau Water Quailty, Land Use Practices, Shorelands, and the Watershed Presentation - (Nancy Turyk, UWSP)
- U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Strategies for Water Quality Improvements for Lake Wausau
- Lake Wausau Water Quality, Land Use Practices, Shorelands, and the Watershed
If you would like to share any concerns, thoughts, or suggestions for consideration in the development of the LMP, please contact LWA at email@example.com or Nancy Turyk from UWSP at firstname.lastname@example.org or 715-346-4155.
For additional information regarding the work that has been done to date on this project, including draft reports of data collected by researchers, please see our Newsletters page.
2021 Membership Renewals
It's time for LWA membership renewals. Membership is open to any individual who enjoys Lake Wausau and wishes to be part of an organization that works to protect, maintain and enhance Lake Wausau. As a member, you'rll be entitled to voting rights on certain Lake Association matters; first hand updates on news, information, and events pertaining to Lake Wausau and its surroundings; opportunities to participate and be involved in one of our community's greatest resources; and inclusion in a network of lake users building stronger bonds within our community.
Renew your membership or join LWA as a new member in 2021 and help us protect, maintain, and enhance Lake Wausau and its beautiful surroundings. Membership dues are a substantial part of our financial support and go toward efforts to improve Lake Wausau. So please help support our efforts to create a healthier lake by becoming a member today.
Lake Wausau Association, Inc.
P.O. Box 1952
Wausau, WI 54402-1952
We thank you for your continued support in helping us create a healthier Lake Wausau. Membership continues to grow as those in the community realize the value of this incredible resource outside our back doors. Renewing your membership and recruiting new members for continued membership growth is critical to our success! Our past and current member listings are published below.
- 2020 Members
- 2019 Members
- 2018 Members
- 2017 Members
- 2016 Members
- 2015 Members
- 2014 Members
- 2013 Members
- 2012 Members
- 2011 Members
See Membership Information to learn more about being a member.
Important Lake Resources and Contact Information
The following Companies service lake Wausau for dock removal:
- DuBay Waters - 715.344.2628
- Lakeside Dock & Lift Sales in Mincoqua - 715.358.7437
- Pelican Piers LLC in Pelican Lake - 715.499.0885 or 715.628.0214
- Dvorak's Docks - 715.275.3625 or email: email@example.com
Please refer to the following contact information for questions or concerns:
- To report prohibited/harmful activities, please contact the WDNR hot-line at 1.800.847.9367 (24 hours, 7 days a week)
- For information related to permits for shoreline restoration projects or lake bed clean up, please contact one of the following:
- Kyle McLaughlin, WI DNR at Kyle.McLaughlin@wisconsin.gov
- Chris Hamerla, Golden Sands Resource Conservation & Development Council, Inc. at 715-343-6215 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dean Johnson, Marathon Co., Conservation, Planning and Zoning at 715.261.6031 (8am - 4:30pm, M-F) or e-mail Dean.Johnson@co.marathon.wi.us
- Click here to visit the WI DNR website for additional information about the permit process and exemptions.
- Click here for a list of well-suited native plant species for shoreland restorations.
- For questions regarding fishery/gaming please contact Tim Parks at 715-498-0420 / Timothy.Parks@wisconsin.gov or Thomas Meronek at 715-410-4222 / Thomas.Meronek@wisconsin.gov
- For questions regarding boating/recreation and permitted activities, etc., please call Tyler Flood, DNR Conservation Warden at 715.409.0017 or e-mail Tyler.Flood@wisconsin.gov
- For concerns or questions regarding health issues, please contact a Public Health Nurse by calling the Marathon County Health Department at 715-261-1900
- Click here for other DNR Lake Contacts
- For concerns specific to Blastomycosis please click on the following links:
Marathon County Conservation, Planning and Zoning Department is working on implementation of restorations on private shoreland lots through a $100,000 Lake Protection Grant received from the WDNR. Marathon County can cost-share up to 70% for shoreland buffer restorations on private shoreland lots. Please click here for their flyer containing additional information.