Welcome to the Lake Wausau Association Website
Thank you for visiting us and for your interest in Lake Wausau!
Please note we are also on Facebook... you can follow us at Facebook: Friends of Lake Wausau.
Media Links to Lake Wausau Drawdown
- BOATERS BEWARE: Lake Wausau Drawdown on the Way (City Pages, 8/4/16)
- Thursday Marks Last Day to Give Input on Lake Wausau Drawdown (WAOW, 8/18/16)
- Argument Continues Over Lake Wausau Drawdown (WAOW, 8/19/16)
- Debate Continues on Lake Wausau Drawdown (WAOW, 9/7/16)
- Lake Wausau Drawdown Could Face Delay (WSAW, 8/11/16)
- Lake Wausau Drawdown Postponed (WAOW, 9/13/16)
In light of the pending drawdown, the following statement was made by the Lake Wausau Association Board of Directors:
"The Lake Wausau Association represents all recreational lake users including kayakers, hunters, skiers, fisherman, boaters, and trappers. Based on facts given to Domtar Corporation by the US Fish and Wildlife Service and the WI DNR, we feel it is in the best interst of the lake to move forward with the dam repairs on September 12, 2016."
Domtar to Drawdown Lake Wausau on 9/12/16
(See additional notice below for possible movement of drawdown to Summer 2017)
Domtar has released public notice of a drawdown of Lake Wausau to conduct necessary dam repairs. The drawdown is expected to begin September 12, 2016, at a rate of 4 inches per day and will cease at the 5 foot level or on October 1, 2016, whichever occurs first. Domtar will have until November 15, 2016 to make their dam repairs, at which time they will be required to begin refilling the lake at 4 inches per day. Additional details of the drawdown, including prohibited activities during the drawdown, are included in their public notice. Please click here for the public notice, which will be posted at each boat launch area. Please also see our Summer 2016 Newsletter which also addresses the drawdown.
Note many boat landings will be unusable during the drawdown due to anticipated low water levels. Please be sure to plan ahead for boat and dock removal! The following Companies service lake Wausau for dock removal:
- DuBay Waters - 715.344.2628
- Lakeside Dock & Lift Sales in Mincoqua - 715.358.7437
- Pelican Pieers LLC in Pelican Lake - 715.499.0885 or 715.628.0214 (will be working in Wausau weeks prior to the drawdown)
Please refer to the following contact information for questions or concerns:
- To report prohibited/harmful activities, please contact the WDNR hot-line at 1.800.847.9367 (24 hours, 7 days a week)
- For information related to permits for shoreline restoration projects or lake bed clean up, please contact one of the following:
- Kyle McLaughlin, WI DNR at Kyle.McLaughlin@wisconsin.gov
- Tyler Betry, Marathon Co. Conservation, Planning and Zoning at 715.261.6027 or e-mail email@example.com
- Chris Hamerla, Golden Sands Resource Conservation & Development Council, Inc. at 715-343-6215 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dean Johnson, Marathon Co., Conservation, Planning and Zoning at 715.261.6031 (8am - 4:30pm, M-F) or e-mail Dean.Johnson@co.marathon.wi.us
- Click here to visit the WI DNR website for additional information about the permit process and exemptions.
- Click here for a list of well-suited native plant species for shoreland restorations.
- For information about the drawdown project and dam repairs, as well as the permitting process, please contact Domtar at 715.359.3101
- For questions regarding fishery/gaming please contact Tom Meronek at email@example.com
- For questions regarding boating/recreation and permitted activities, etc., please call Randy Dunkel, DNR Conservation Warden at 715.393.7473 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
- For concerns or questions regarding health issues, please contact a Public Health Nurse by calling the Marathon County Health Department at 715-261-1900
- For concerns specific to Blastomycosis please click on the following links:
The drawdown will be a great opportunity to clean up shorelines and work on shoreland restoration projects. Marathon County and Golden Sands Resource Consevation & Development Council, Inc. are working jointly to assist with implementation of restorations on private shoreland lots through a $100,000 Lake Protection Grant received from the WDNR. Marathon County can cost-share up to 70% for shoreland buffer restorations on private shoreland lots. Please click here for their flyer containing additional information.
Domtar Drawdown May Move to Summer 2017
Public notification was released a few weeks ago that Domtar in Rothschild will be drawing down Lake Wausau in fall 2016 to make repairs on the dam. We spoke with Domtar representatives on August 15th who confirmed that comments were made on the public forum in favor of moving the drawdown to the beginning of summer 2017. Most of these comments were from fall season recreational Lake Wausau users; however, there were overwhelming comments supporting a fall 2016 drawdown posted through August 18, 2016 (which was the due date for public comments on this project). You may read public comments at FERC Online eLibrary (you must type in P-2212-* for the Docket Number and then hit the submit button).
The Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) is currently evaluating the public comments in determining whether a change is necessary to the original timeline for the drawdown. As of September 9, 2016, FERC is still evaluating and responding to the comments and has not provided approval of the permit. It has been communicated they are working as quickly as possible to respond to the comments and to address the permit approval by September 12th. We will post any updates as they are received.
2016 Membership Renewals
Renew your membership or join LWA as a new member in 2016 and help us protect, maintain, and enhance Lake Wausau and its beautiful surroundings. Membership is open to all friends of Lake Wausau and provides opportunities to network and socialize with other lake users, receive important news and information about Lake Wausau and its surroundings, and to be involved in one of our community's greatest resources. So please help support our efforts to create a healthier lake by becoming a member today.
Lake Wausau Association, Inc.
P.O. Box 5073
Wausau, WI 54402-5073
We thank you for your continued support in helping us create a healthier Lake Wausau. Membership continues to grow as those in the community realize the value of this incredible resource outside our back doors. Did you know member dues provide a significant source of financial support? Renewing your membership and recruiting new members for continued membership growth is critical to our success! Our past and current member listings are published below.
See Membership Information to learn more about being a member.