Welcome to the Lake Wausau Association Website
Thank you for visiting us and for your interest in Lake Wausau! Please note we are also on Facebook... you can follow us at Facebook: Friends of Lake Wausau.
LWA's Annual Member Meeting
The 2016 Annual Member Meeting has been scheduled for Wednesday, September 7th at Trails End Lodge. Please see our Calendar of Events for further details.
Domtar to Drawdown Lake Wausau on 9/12/16
(See additional notice below for possible movement of drawdown to Summer 2017)
Domtar has released public notice of a drawdown of Lake Wausau to conduct necessary dam repairs. The drawdown is expected to begin September 12, 2016, at a rate of 4 inches per day and will cease at the 5 foot level or on October 1, 2016, whichever occurs first. Domtar will have until November 15, 2016 to make their dam repairs, at which time they will be required to begin refilling the lake at 4 inches per day. Additional details of the drawdown, including prohibited activities during the drawdown, are included in their public notice. Please click here for the public notice, which will be posted at each boat launch area. Please also see our Summer 2016 Newsletter which also addresses the drawdown.
Note many boat landings will be unusable during the drawdown due to anticipated low water levels. Please be sure to plan ahead for boat and dock removal! The following Companies service lake Wausau for dock removal:
- DuBay Waters - 715.344.2628
- Lakeside Dock & Lift Sales in Mincoqua - 715.358.7437
- Pelican Pieers LLC in Pelican Lake - 715.499.0885 or 715.628.0214 (will be working in Wausau weeks prior to the drawdown)
Please refer to the following contact information for questions or concerns:
- For questions related to prohibited activities, or to report prohibited/harmful activities, please contact the WDNR hot-line at 1.800.847.9367 (24 hours, 7 days a week)
- For information related to permits for shoreline restoration projects or lake bed clean up, please contact one of the following:
- Tyler Betry, Marathon Co. Conservation, Planning and Zoning at 715.261.6027 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
- Chris Hamerla, Golden Sands Resource Conservation & Development Council, Inc. at 715-343-6215 or e-mail email@example.com
- Dean Johnson, Marathon Co., Conservation, Planning and Zoning at 715.261.6031 (8am - 4:30pm, M-F)
- Click here to visit the WI DNR website for additional information about the permit process and exemptions.
- For information about the drawdown project and dam repairs, as well as the permitting process, please contact Domtar at 715.359.3101
- For questions regarding fishery/gaming, boating/recreation, etc., please call Randy Dunkel, DNR Conservation Warden at 715.393.7473 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
The drawdown will be a great opportunity to clean up shorelines and work on shoreland restoration projects. Marathon County and Golden Sands Resource Consevation & Development Council, Inc. are working jointly to assist with implementation of restorations on private shoreland lots through a $100,000 Lake Protection Grant received from the WDNR. Marathon County can cost-share up to 70% for shoreland buffer restorations on private shoreland lots. Please click here for their flyer containing additional information.
Domtar Drawdown May Move to Summer 2017 - Public Comments on the Timing of the Drawdown are Due 8/18/16
Public notification was released a few weeks ago that Domtar in Rothschild will be drawing down Lake Wausau in fall 2016 to make repairs on the dam. We spoke with Domtar representatives on August 15th who confirmed that comments have been made on the public forum in favor of moving the drawdown to the beginning of summer 2017. Based on these comments, which were mostly from fall season recreational Lake Wausau users, it is very likely the drawdown could be moved from fall 2016 to summer 2017.
PLEASE NOTE: If you prefer the lake be drawn down in fall 2016 rather than summer 2017, please take time to submit factual and positive comments encouraging the fall 2016 drawdown which must be submitted by the end of the day Thursday, August 18th. Click on this link to submit your comments and refer to Docket Number P-2212-049: http://www.ferc.gov/docs-filin
Please do not make negative comments about other group or individual opinions, but rather positive comments regarding Lake Wausau recreation in the summer such as boating, kayaking, fishing, swimming, Wausau events, etc.
Please spread the word and post any comments as soon as possible!
2016 Membership Renewals
Renew your membership or join LWA as a new member in 2016 and help us protect, maintain, and enhance Lake Wausau and its beautiful surroundings. Membership is open to all friends of Lake Wausau and provides opportunities to network and socialize with other lake users, receive important news and information about Lake Wausau and its surroundings, and to be involved in one of our community's greatest resources. So please help support our efforts to create a healthier lake by becoming a member today.
Lake Wausau Association, Inc.
P.O. Box 5073
Wausau, WI 54402-5073
We thank you for your continued support in helping us create a healthier Lake Wausau. Membership continues to grow as those in the community realize the value of this incredible resource outside our back doors. Did you know member dues provide a significant source of financial support? Renewing your membership and recruiting new members for continued membership growth is critical to our success! Our past and current member listings are published below.
See Membership Information to learn more about being a member.